(Background: I’m a huge fan of 3 things from my childhood. Dick Tracy, Knight Rider, and Inspector Gadget. I’m super excited to see my adulthood match what I loved as a child.)
I’ve been a watch wearer since childhood. Gone from digital, to analog, to even both at times. I own a Nike+ Watch (with GPS), a strap to fit my iPod Nano 6th Gen in, and a LG G Watch. While I’m not an expert, here are some thoughts on the Apple Watch today.
- This totally legitimized both the wearable category (sorry, Tory Burch+Fitbit) and NFC in wearable devices (which is genius, btw)
- It is the first device that is gender agnostic enough (and two sizes help) to really make a dent in the female wearable market
- That makes me wonder why they are giving up on Android users with a complete lock-in to the Apple ecosystem. The first company to accept cross platform users will make a killing (just look at Google Glass and Apple users.
- The price point is right in line with what Apple would charge. It will sell like hotcakes
- The amount of SKUs shows me that Apple understands the fashion/”me” factor of the device. The difference in price will be the X factor there.
- Battery life and connectivity need to be addressed publicly. Even if it’s an estimate, people want a general idea. Right now, its looking like a day, 2 tops. (which isn’t great)
- I don’t see death with other fitness wearables. It looks too nice to take to the gym- and if I can’t do music+BT headphones, what is the point?
- Along those lines, seems water resistant?
- Can’t wait to see the interface in person. Looks kludgy to me so far.
What are your thoughts on the Apple Watch?